Jamaica COVID-19 Updates for Aug 12, 2021 (posted Aug 13, 2021)
August 13, 2021
Spice – Send It Up | Official Music Video
August 14, 2021

University Hospital of The West Indies at capacity due to COVID-19 surge


August 13, 2021 | Zhane Squire |

As previously stated by the Ministry of Health and Wellness (MOHW), the University Hospital of the West Indies (UHWI) is at capacity for treating patients confirmed with the COVID-19 virus. Although we have made adjustments to accommodate additional confirmed and suspected COVID-19 patients, we are nonetheless at capacity.

These adjustments have, however, impacted our care for patients with other types of illness and we are therefore restricted in providing regular healthcare and services. Due to the constraints, we have reduced our elective and non-emergency procedures to 50 percent of the usual members.

As at 11 0’clock this morning, 96.1 per cent of COVID-19 positive patients at the UHWI are unvaccinated and the remaining 3.9 per cent received one dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine. Therefore, we are urging the public to get fully vaccinated. Vaccines continue to be administered at the vaccination centre at the Ring Road, Hospitality Hall, Mondays to Fridays 9 am to 3pm, with or without an appointment.

The University Hospital is also appealing to members of the public, between the ages of 18 and 60 years, who have fully recovered from COVID-19 in the last 28 days to donate plasma to assist critically ill COVID patients. Please call the UHWI at 876-977-2327.

Source University of the West Indies

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

//]]>