Signature Moments Include Star-Studded CROWN Awards Ceremony on July 2 in New Orleans and Social Call to Action to Join the Movement and Be #CROWNProud on CROWN Day
ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., June 23, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — National CROWN Day, presented by Dove and the CROWN Coalition, is back and expanded to a two-week celebration to commemorate the inaugural signing of the first CROWN Act (July 3, 2019) to “Create a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair.” This year’s celebrations mark the fourth CROWN Day, and will kick-off during the 2023 BET Awards, followed by several signature events during the ESSENCE Festival of Culture in New Orleans, LA.
The hallmark event of National CROWN Day is the annual CROWN Awards on Sunday, July 2. Hosted by Tai Beauchamp, the ceremony will highlight the extraordinary strength, grace, and impact of notable Black women and girls whose talents and leadership help advance the legacy of Black beauty and brilliance. Some honorees and attendees include Caroline Wanga, Camille Friend, MC Lyte, Quvenzhané Wallis, Michelle Miller, Lynae Vanee, Tabitha Brown and Kym Whitley.
“Dove is proud to return to the ESSENCE Festival of Culture to celebrate the continued progress that has been made to end race-based hair discrimination in the US,” stated Esi Eggleston Bracey, President of Unilever US & CEO of Unilever Personal Care, NA. While there is much to celebrate with 23 states and 50 municipalities that have passed CROWN legislation, there is still work to be done to ensure protections and inclusivity. We look forward to uplifting Black women and girls who are standing proudly in their full, unapologetic beauty as part of this year’s fourth annual CROWN Day festivities.”
As part of this year’s CROWN Day celebration, Dove is inviting newscasters across the country to wear their natural and protective styles on air and on their social channels on Monday, July 3 to represent the beauty and diversity of Black hair on air.
2023 National CROWN Day celebrations include:
- June 12 – Beloved children’s YouTube series Gracie’s Corner releases special “Gracie’s CROWN” episode, spotlighting the importance of loving and celebrating your hair.
- June 21-24 – Black@Cannes CROWN Conversations focused on normalizing natural hairstyles on screen and shifting culture.
- June 25 – 2023 BET Awards in-show video to affirm that Black hair IS professional.
- June 30 – ESSENCE Beautycon “For the Love of Black Beauty” Panel featuring award-winning Actor Kym Whitley, celebrity hairstylist Camille Friend and Dove Self-Esteem Project Educator Dre Brown.
- July 2 – Third annual CROWN Awards, hosted by Tai Beauchamp and honoring trailblazers and gamechangers across various fields.
- July 3 – National CROWN Day – Black Hair Independence Day will kick-off with a “CROWNs & Conversations” breakfast celebration in New Orleans, LA. Newscasters from across the US will wear their natural and protective styles on-air and take to social media to post photos of their #NaturalHairOnAir. All celebrating National CROWN Day are invited to post photos and videos using #CROWNProud.
Visit Dove.com/CROWN to learn more about the CROWN movement and be sure to tag #CROWNProud on all CROWN Day celebration posts.
SOURCE The CROWN Coalition